Well, we know God is brilliant and powerful, but is that all we know about God? If that were the case, we would be so terrified by such a being that we would fearfully question his motives, his plan, and his disposition. We would wonder what he thinks about the living creatures here on this planet and whether he cares about us and, if so, why and how much?
Well, before getting into that, I’d like to share with you some hopeful stories on a human level through amazing human beings who have given me some real hope toward the significance of mankind in God’s plan.
You have likely had the pleasure of knowing some amazing human beings at the caliber of genius, wisdom, and superhuman ability. You may have been awestruck by at least a few human beings whose courage seems to elevate our understanding of the laws of nature…perhaps a selfless man (like Nikolai Tesla) whose keen understanding of electricity extends to the brightness of a star; an iron will driven-up through the most arduous of sports by a conditioned cyclist whose seven victories were accomplished after surviving cancer; an eighty-year-old dad who would pole-vault to cross a river while irrigating just to put bread on the table; or perhaps a typical mom who would sooner fight an alligator than to let him continue chomping on her son.
I’m quite sure you have met some amazing human beings; there are lots of them! Usually, one doesn’t have to look much further than the sacrifices made by dear ole mom and dad. Being a typical stubborn kid, I didn’t place too much merit on my mom and dad’s advice because they could have been rich, but they chose to live such a humble life instead. They ate cheap food and their idea of a good time was going to church, and their friends were all poor. There was this one such family in particular, who could do no wrong… (Click on title to read more.)
(I’d like to state all this with lots more accuracy but in order to keep it short and to the point, I will compress it with imperfections such as when, how, and where certain events take place. This is a true story and, although I cannot tell it with more accuracy in so few pages, I’d like to share it with you, because it is very dear to my heart!)
When I was a little girl, I was introduced to a little Jewish peasant girl. I remember wondering how her poor family from a distant continent came to be so close with us in a little-known town in America. Her family spoke with an accent, and their English was difficult to understand; but mom and dad have always had a special place in their heart for and relate easily with poor people; and the little girl’s father has always been someone my mom and dad really look-up to.
Because I was a hyper little kid who could never keep still and had to be active in sports or some kind of mischief, I didn’t make time to get-to-know this little girl, though she was just as familiar as all of our next-door neighbors.
Through the years, it was quite common to hear people talk about this little peasant girl. I’d never hear much about her achievements but her courage, humility, decency, obedience, and her keen understanding nonetheless intrigued me. She wasn’t one of the “cool kids”, and her parents didn’t have much money. In fact, I think my parents had more than hers. She wasn’t outspoken but admired nonetheless by many people.
I too admired her; but she really never seemed to do anything cool enough like talk about cute boys, win a gold medal, a state championship, or anything that would have held my attention. But, as time has elapsed, I seem to remain still intrigued by this poor little girl.
I have read a lot of books, I’ve been all over the world, and I have seen a heck of a lot, but there are certain things that still manage to amaze me...
Well, this girl who never did anything wrong became pregnant before she was married. Her fiancĂ© agreed to marry her, although he wasn’t the biological father of the child.
Mom and dad always kept me updated on gradual changes in their immediate life and that of their neighbors—always including this peasant family. Sometimes, quite honestly, I got sick of hearing about them. I guess I wanted mom and dad to be more interested in me and in my achievements or struggles…not that they weren’t but wow would they rave about this little peasant family!
Anyway, just to please my mom and dad since they liked talking about them so much, I would sometimes act interested, and occasionally I was interested. It turns out that I know more about this family than I do about most of my friends.
Well, this girl had a cute little boy with gorgeous eyes. Pictures of him finally made it to my photo album. He was always dressed in poor clothing but always clean and very well behaved. He wasn’t shy because of his family’s poverty nor was he arrogant because of his keen understanding and good looks. He always seemed to be interested in people and loved to help anyone who wanted his help, and his intelligence was awe-inspiring. He never seemed to do anything wrong…until one day, consistent with naughty things done by kids his age of ten, eleven, or twelve, he was lost and nobody could find him. Three whole days went by and his poor mom, well you can imagine her fright! With mixed feelings of agony and joy, she and the child’s foster father finally found him; and his mom said, “Son, we’ve been looking for you everywhere!”
He said, “Why were you looking for me everywhere? Did you not know you would have found me at my father’s house?” I guess they were kind of shocked to learn that he knew!
Well, lots of time went by and I rarely called home since I was so busy with my career traveling all over the world, and I didn’t really tune-in to my mom and dad’s life. When I did call, I would just talk about me and my achievements and struggles and rather selfishly solicit their compliments or sympathy—whatever I needed.
Many years went by and nothing was heard of the little boy. Then one day when he was somewhere out walking, he inexplicably recognized one of his cousins, John, very close in age—no more than six months apart. They likely had never seen each other, not even in pictures; a camera back then was a luxury that was unheard of.
But, what’s even more amazing is that John was immediately transfixed…he knew this person walking toward him was at last the acquaintance he had longed to make since he was little.
The little boy, who had become a man, was suddenly walking toward him into the river; and John understood that the one whose sandals he was not worthy to unfasten was suddenly kneeling before him…because a presence so powerfully transcended temporal and spatial limits as a supernatural voice spiritually entered time and space for an epitomizing introduction: This is my beloved son with whom I am well pleased!
John said, “It is I who need baptism from you; and yet you come to me?” After he baptized Jesus, John calls-out to two of the guys (Andrew and Phillip) who were nearby. Never at a loss for words, he was almost speechless; and as the three of them watched Jesus walk away down the side of the river, John said to them, “Behold the Lamb of God who takes unto himself the sins of the world! It is him you must follow now, not me. He must increase as I must decrease.”
Jesus was of age, so they let him read from the Torah:
The spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has anointed me to give good tidings to the poor. He has sent me to heal the broken-hearted, preach deliverance to the captives, to give sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are bruised, to accept the acceptable year of the Lord.
Then he said: Today in your hearing, the scriptures are fulfilled!
Those who were present said, “Fulfilled? How could he dare say such a thing? What do you mean? The prophecy you have read can only be fulfilled by the coming of the Messiah—by the coming of the Kingdom of God!”
Jesus said: The Kingdom of God comes not in a way foreseen by men! Repent and believe the good news! The Kingdom of Heaven, behold, is suddenly upon you!
What? They said.
They took the scriptures away from him and said, while accusing him of blasphemy, “They shouldn’t be touched by unclean hands!” They were well aware that his parents were poor neighbors who lived nearby.
Andrew and Phillip had listened to, studied, believed, and anticipated John’s insight about someone who would arrive, whose sandals he would be unworthy to unfasten. Andrew and Phillip believed John’s words of wisdom, enough to run after Jesus and request if they could hangout with him.
Andrew and Phillip were almost dismissed by Jesus (as if to challenge them); but the courage they showed, defined a bit of faith, which would seem to have been like a fresh glass of cold water to Jesus, having just been rejected at the Synagogue.
Jesus says: Well, come follow me!
As the three of them walk to Capernaum, Andrew excitedly tells Jesus, “You can stay with Simon, my brother; he’s a good man!”
When they finally arrive, Andrew anxiously wants to introduce him to his brother; but Simon is going mad with anger since he hasn’t caught any fish. He’s ranting and raving when Andrew interrupts and says, “Let me introduce you to the man John the Baptist spoke about!” (I guess on their walk, Andrew’s hope finds reward, because Jesus is patient with his brother’s anger, where at bay, Simon is yelling with disgust in a bad-mood, docking his boat.)
Simon doesn’t want to meet this holy man, Jesus, whose preaching can’t fill the bellies of the starving people and especially his immediate family. Then, Jesus tells him to go out again, and that he will join him.
Simon says something to the effect, “Are you kidding? We’ve been out there all day and haven’t caught anything!”
After Andrew begs his brother to do as Jesus says, and since Simon is desperate to earn some income and to feed his family, he seems to finally listen to his encouraged brother Andrew, as he sarcastically yells to this holy person, “Okay, what the heck, maybe you can preach to the fish!”
They return with so many fish that they don’t know what to do with all of them. Thoughts likely covered the spectrum, ranging from mere natural coincidence to divine miracle. The word spread fast, and Simon is suddenly like a hero, who unexpectedly can feed everyone he knows in Capernaum.
The big catch brings a huge crowd to assemble at Simon’s place, where Jesus seems to be staying, thanks to Andrew’s invitation. While everyone is enjoying a table of plenty, Jesus genuinely talks to the people and analogously uses the big catch to convey so personably what Heaven is like. He says: The Kingdom of Heaven is like going out to fish; and there are so many fish that the nets are almost busting at the seams. Other fisherman join-in to help—happy, exited, and united! It’s a time of gratitude toward what God has given in such abundance!
Then he says: Behold—the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!
They ask, “What do you mean; when?”
Jesus answers: How is it that you can read the signs of the clouds and the direction of the wind to conclude, predict, and expect rain or temperature, but you cannot read the signs of the times?
Some people were awestruck by such wisdom and broad talk; others merely thought of him as a mere gifted intellect, like “Wow man, this guy is deep! Let’s eat.”
Well, they are eating, talking, and enjoying the prosperity of such a big catch, when suddenly Matthew, the town’ tax collector, “crashes the party”. He arrogantly demands to talk to Simon who owes back taxes and can now obviously pay-up because of the big catch.
As soon as this guy comes in, Simon’s temper prevails as he lets Matthew know he’s not welcome and he “better get the heck out of here!” Well, Simon is quite the tough-guy and demands for Matthew to leave immediately or else this tough fisherman will throw him out with relative ease.
As though unaffected by Simon’s threats, Matthew asks about this new preacher or teacher or priest or whatever this person named Jesus is.
Simon doesn’t care what Matthew wants! He just wants this tax collector out of his property immediately, or else he’s going to get a “knuckle sandwich”!
Jesus speaks-up since Matthew is so unwelcome at Simon’s place…Jesus asks Matthew for directions to his house.
Matthew immediately supposes this must be that preacher or whatever; but he wonders why would he ask such a thing? What would he do with directions to his house? So he says, “Why do you ask?”
Well, I’d like to have supper with you this evening!
Simon, who has been the host of such a fine celebration and likely enjoying the limelight after such a huge catch, is upset that someone is interrupting and “raining on his parade”…then a tax collector…at his house? No way! Ready to clobber Matthew, Simon, rather confused, shifts his focus toward Jesus and yells, “You mean to tell me that you would enter the home of such a sinner?”
Jesus says: I would enter the home of anyone who welcomes me; I’d go anywhere I am welcome!
Later on as dusk draws night, Andrew, Phillip, and others grapple with what to do as they go out looking for Simon; they find him, out by his boat. They try to talk him into going with them to Matthew’s house, curious as to what Jesus would do at a tax collector’s house!
But, Simon yells at the top of his lungs while sure he wants nothing more than to do his fishing yet obviously confused about what all has transpired with the sudden catch of fish, Simon yells, “Andrew, I’m not like you!”
The guys ignore him and turn their attention to talk among themselves, unsure what to do.
Simon yells, “I told Jesus I hate Matthew! He’s my blood-sucking enemy; and then what does this Jesus say, ‘Well why don’t you join us as well?’ I mean, what kind of logic is that? Andrew, I’m not like you! I’m not a follower of priests and prophets! I’m a fisherman! I have responsibilities! I have to work!”
After they beg him to join them, he yells, “Leave me alone! Why did you bring him to me? This is my life—my nets, my boat! Go-on! Follow him! But just leave me be!”
One of them says to the others, “Come on! You can’t talk to him when he’s like this; he has a very bad temper!”
Then, Simon struggles while yelling to himself as he walks toward his boat…“This is my life!”
The last thing he wanted to do was follow a priest or prophet or some holy righteous man preaching about patience, when such virtue got him nowhere but empty net after empty net. And, moreover, there was no shortage of those claiming to be prophets. Surely, trying to become convinced that the big catch had nothing to do with anything other than…well, there just happened to be lots of fish at that spot at that moment! (This guy was one tough man! I could just picture him…he probably busted a couple knuckles putting a dent on his boat!)
Well, Jesus enters Matthew’s home whereupon people are drinking and immodestly behaving while feeding on their every emotion. Matthew is shocked to see that Jesus actually shows-up! Matthew, quite taken aback, looks at him and says, “Rabbi! Welcome to my home!” (…And likely motions inconspicuously to his friends to hide the paraphernalia, you know?)
The guests, anxious to hear this person’s words, can’t decide whether to eat first or listen to what Jesus might say. The tax collector is quite confused as to why such a holy man would go to his house for supper! This had never happened, an emperor perhaps but a holy man? Then, as if that’s not bizarre enough, as they’re trying to comprehend the shock, who shows up if not a prostitute? Suddenly, these men are too “righteous” to accept this prostitute whom they all seem to know quite well. Remorseful for her many sins, she humbly cries lots of tears on the feet of Jesus, and then anoints his feet with oil.
Jesus accepts the gesture; and rather than scolding her, he reciprocates respect!
The irony! The paradox! The shock! These people are simply awestruck!
Meanwhile, Simon, who is off by himself in a fit of rage, curiously hears the commotion. Many people gather outside, having followed Jesus to the tax collector’s house. Then, as though oddly persuaded by curiosity, the doorstep on Matthew’s house beckons him as well.
Although Jesus is aware that Simon is at the door, he doesn’t let-on that he knows. Jesus begins poignantly as he says to the anxious guests, “I’d like to tell you a story...”
There were two boys who were each given a large sum of money as their inheritance. The younger son asked for his sooner rather than later; then he went off and lived-it-up and squandered it all.
When he drained all his money, the tusks fed to the pigs began to look appetizing. He reflected on how he couldn’t afford to buy a meal, having spent all his money on loose living; but it suddenly occurred to him that his dad’s servants were well taken-care-of.
Hoping his dad wouldn’t disown him, he decides he would sheepishly return home and beg his dad to allow him to work as one of his servants.
When his dad saw him walking on the horizon toward the house, he asked everyone to do this-and-that, arranging for the biggest feast they could prepare.
Upon making eye contact with his father, the boy plans on saying, ‘I have been a terrible son, I’ve sinned against God, and I don’t deserve to be called your son, but can I at least be one of your servants?’
The boy wanted to ask his dad if he can stay-on as a servant, but before he got a chance to say anything, his dad gives him ‘the royal treatment’ instead! His father said loudly so that everyone could hear, ‘Put a ring on his hand; prepare his favorite meal; and invite everyone you know!’
This didn’t sit well with the elder brother. He was annoyed and confused since he had always responsibly obeyed his father. He had always walked the ‘straight and narrow’ but had never received so much as a pat-on-the-back. His young brother goes away and does the opposite only to come back home penniless and pathetic; and dear ole dad throws him a party! He asks his father, ‘What gives?’
His dad tells him, “My dear son, everything I have is yours! I love you every bit as much as I love your little brother. But, it is fitting that we should celebrate because your little brother was lost and now he’s found! He was blind but now he sees! He was dead but he’s alive again!”
The tax collector (Matthew) stands up after the story hit home to the core. The tough-guy (Simon), holding back the tears and likely feeling a knot in his throat, doesn’t wait to be invited in. They both walk toward Jesus. Simon speaks-up and tries to talk but this tough-guy can hardly muster-up the strength to speak. He stutters, “M-M-Master, f-f-forgive me! I’m but-I’m-just-a-stupid man! Then Simon and Matthew—rival enemies—throw their arms around each other and become inseparable friends.
Shortly thereafter, Matthew and Simon, while sitting near a campfire with thoughts racing and their eyes wide-open, ponder their recent experiences in the midst of an epiphany. They talk as though they are thinking out loud…Matthew says, “We’ll never be the same nor will the whole world! We’re just the first to know!”
They suddenly deduce that people who are ill can really appreciate a doc, whereas those who are “well” have no need to check themselves and miss the boat or wreck themselves!
A few days later, there are thousands upon thousands of people surrounding Jesus, intrigued by his presence, charisma, insight, his unbiased sense of friendship, the depth of his love for every human being, and the advanced words that would penetrate wisdom deep into their soul from the infinite depth of his spirit, bringing life to the scriptures that they had read all their lives.
Finally, natural hunger caused their stomachs to growl. They hadn’t packed a lunch before running with the crowds of people toward where Jesus would tell amazing poignant stories of parable. Andrew approached Jesus and told him that “the people are hungry, and shouldn’t we send them away, back to their homes?”
Jesus simply says: So feed them!
Andrew and his buddy looked at one another perplexed as to how! They asked Jesus, “How? There are thousands!”
Jesus asks: How many fish and how many loaves of bread do you have?
“There are five loaves and two fish!”
He says: Put them in the baskets and feed them!
Well, of course, this sounded ridiculous!
Matthew and Simon still hadn’t recovered from the flips of their throbbing hearts within their shrewd and macho frames. Simon curiously says, “Hurry-up! Do what he says!”
Well, although they naturally felt a little foolish, they did as they were told…they put the fish and bread into the baskets and awkwardly walked to the hungry crowd.
Then, suddenly as the people reached into the baskets, there was plenty of bread and fish for seconds and thirds; each person among the thousands had enough food to satiate their hunger and fill their bellies…but baskets-full of leftovers is the irony that leaves the faithless feeling foolish, and the grateful accepting the free and absolutely generous gift of faith from the divine visit down to Earth.
On another occasion, Jesus sends the apostles in pairs in different directions. He tells them not to worry about what to say—God will speak through you. Then they all came back to camp out with Jesus. They had a “fish-fry” or simply roasted the “marshmallows” of their day. They excitedly reported in common the ease with which they found God speaking through them. They were laughing and enthusiastic about this amazing experience (…as though they were high-school kids after winning a state-championship).
Then, Jesus speaks: Who do people say that I am?
They all excitedly spoke at once and laughed at the shared commentary: Some say John the Baptist back from the dead! …Others say Elijah! …Others say Jeremiah or Ezekiel!
And, who do you say that I am?
The excitement was replaced by their silence…there was a long pause. Just as God had spoken through them when they went off in different directions preaching to people, they expected it would happen again but nothing came out of their mouths…the pause was deafening. The silence finally ended with a voice that shocked all but Jesus, when the words came through the mouth of Simon, “I say you are the Messiah—the Son of the Living God!”
In saying that, Simon Barjona, you show yourself to be blessed among men! Flesh and blood has not revealed this truth to you…it has come from My Father in Heaven! So now I will call you Peter—Rock—and upon this Rock I will build My Church; and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it! To you, I give the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. And, to you all I say this, and now you know it, but you must not reveal it to any man; the time has not yet come but another time is coming—the time for me to go to Jerusalem.
Then he says: In Jerusalem, the elders and the chief priests of the Temple will reject the Son of Man. He will be condemned, handed over to the unbelievers, and scourged, mocked, humiliated, and crucified, and then after three days, HE WILL RISE AGAIN!
They likely thought he was again speaking in parable, for they did not yet understand what He meant.
Through the days, among the multitude of people anxious to hear Him speak, many questions were posed to Jesus: some to simply hear His wisdom, some to test Him, some to trick Him, some to gain His leadership and influence on “civil” quarrels, some for healing…
A man by the name of Barabas approached Jesus, asking if He would lead him and his brothers and temple guards with revenge against the Romans. He said that they would do anything Jesus would command, for they were tired of being oppressed.
Jesus says: Love your enemies and forgive those who persecute you.
Perplexed that those who had heinously murdered so many innocent people should be forgiven, Barabas asks, “Forgive the Romans? Forgive Herod?” Barabas insisted, “We should meet the sword with the sword!”
Jesus says: All who take-up the sword shall perish by the sword! Barabas, your zeal blinds you to the truth! ‘The New Jerusalem’ will not be built by murder and uprising. The wisdom of God will fill the land as water fills the sea! The lion will lie down with the lamb! There will be no more killing and destroying, and the voice of weeping shall be heard no more.
Upset with Jesus’ lack of cooperation, Barabas says, “While we wait for that day, our people live in mourning and lamentation.”
Jesus calls-out to Barabas who has walked off: Barabas! You wish to follow me? I’ve come to take on my shoulders the sins of the world! He who would follow me must do the same! Jesus again calls-out to Barabas who kept walking away. Barabas…!
Jesus tells a story of a man who had told each of his two sons to go work in the vineyard. One said ‘No!’ but went to the vineyard and began working. The other said ‘Okay!’ but went somewhere else and disobeyed. Which of the two did his father’s will?
Then, Jesus refers to two ‘righteous’ men who think they are righteous because they say ‘Yes’ to God but they do not do his will. John the Baptist came to you in righteousness but you did not believe him—even when you saw that there were sinners who believed and repented. They will get into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
They thought surely they could trick Jesus with politics. They asked Him about taxes to see if He would pick a side.
Jesus asks for a coin; volunteers reach into their purse for dinari and extend a coin toward Him in their hands. Jesus asks: Whose face is on the coin?
They answer, “Caesar’s!”
Jesus says: Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar; give to God what belongs to God!
Jesus says: Come to me all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Come oh blessed of My Father and inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world…for I was hungry and you gave me food; I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was a stranger and you welcomed me; I was naked and you clothed me; I was in prison and you visited me; I was sick and you cared for me.
They will ask, “When did we do this for you?”
Whoever does this to the least of my brothers, he does it to me!
Love your enemies; bless those who curse you; do good to those who hate you; pray for those who persecute you. If you love only those who love you, why should you claim any credit? …Even the tax collectors do as much! If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, offer the other also. And, if anyone takes away your coat, give him your cloak as well. Give to everyone who asks from you. And, if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them back. Do not do to anyone anything you would not have done to you. Pass no judgment, and you will not be judged. Don’t condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Be perfect, just as Our Father in Heaven is perfect. Ask for this gift and it shall be given you! Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened. What father refuses his child? If you who are imperfect know how to give what is good to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give to those who ask Him?
They thought surely they could trick Jesus with the letter of the Law…
The crowds were about to stone a prostitute to death. With stones in hand, they asked Jesus, “Shouldn’t we stone this woman to death? She was caught committing adultery!”
Jesus listens to these men’s accusations while He scribbles something on the dirt (perhaps their names or their sins?) and says: Let the one among you without sin cast the first stone!
The men all dropped their stone one by one—the older and wiser ones first! (It’s curious how they knew her so well!)
A Roman officer, in charge of one hundred soldiers, interrupted Jesus and said, “Rabbi…! I’m sorry for my interruption…I would like to ask you a great favor! I have a servant in my house, I’ve had him a long while and he’s good, loving, more like a son than a servant. He’s very sick, dying I fear. Rabbi in all humility…”
Jesus says: You would like me to come to your house? Very well, I will come with you!
This was especially shocking to all present, because again this is an officer from the Roman military—the enemy, as it were.
“No!” says the officer; “I am unworthy that you should enter under my roof. I know that if you say the word, my servant will be healed. I am a man under authority over one hundred soldiers, and if I say to one of them, ‘Do this!’ I know that he will do it. And, if I say to another, ‘Go there!’ I know that he will go. I need not see—I know! So it is enough that you give the word and it will be done!”
Jesus turns to the crowd: Do you hear this man? I have seldom found such faith among the people of Israel. Then, Jesus turns to the soldier and says: Go home! Your faith has cured your servant!
Someone speaks-up, “We know we are the chosen people! How can a pagan be worthier than a son of Israel?”
Jesus says: Everybody is welcome at My Father’s table…rich, poor, masters, servants, children of Israel, and of pagans!
Before the soldier returned home, he was met by enthusiastic people saying, “Sir! No need to worry, your servant is cured. We don’t know what happened, but suddenly he’s well!”
This upset Barabas, who misunderstood this to be behavior of a traitor. He failed to recognize…Jesus did not come only to save this race or that, members of this religion or of that, within this millennium or that, within these geographic boundaries or those. He came to save one race—the HUMAN RACE!!!
Knowing what’s about to happen, with intense agony, Jesus prays for strength to endure the most brutal torture in all of his-story. As a result of the agony in the garden, His sweat-glands burst causing blood to seep through His pores (medically known as hematidrosis), upon which Caesar apprehends Jesus and delivers Him to Pilot, who then has Him beaten with a whip of three leather strips with metal on the ends. This rips muscles, ruptures blood vessels, and tears nerves, which eventually causes the onset of pleural effusion. Jesus is mocked, spit-upon, and crowned with a strong thorny plant, known as ziziphus. The crown of thorns is pressed on through His tender forehead and scalp, piercing nerves and causing unprecedented excruciating, exacerbating, and incurable pain (medically known as trigeminal neuralgia). Jesus carries on His back a big heavy wooden board tied to His wrists as He endures pain and suffering from the previous scourging and the maturing pleural effusion. His hands and feet are pinned with huge specialty nails onto wooden surfaces by a team of five muscular, relentlessly cruel, expert military men—one officer with Exactor Mortis as his job-specialty and four soldiers performing their duties as the quaternio. The intensifying effects from the initial agony to the eventual crucifixion cause hypovolemia, upon which Jesus, just prior to His last few breaths, looks up and PLEADS: Father, forgive them for they know not what they do!
All through the night—despite the storm and the earthquake—the Roman officers do their duty in accordance to the MO: they would report to the Roman Empire’s Commander-in-chief who would chastise most of them as he’d recognize that they too were convinced. Pilot had a hard time letting go of the most powerful position on Earth!
As a matter of fact, most of the Jews gradually had become followers of Jesus, until He says, “…Eat my body and drink my blood…”—AKA the Eucharist—whereupon two thirds of them turned and walked away and later on would be angry for the inscription on the cross that would read “King of the Jews”. Jesus doesn’t say to them—No Not Really! Com on back! Instead, He emphasizes that He does mean it when He turns to Peter and asks: Do you want to leave too?
Cannibalism? Obviously not! They would not take a fork and begin to feed on the mangled and torn arms and legs.
His death serves as the redemption for all human beings—hence Good Friday. The Apostles didn’t know what to do without Him on the Sabbath (Saturday had always been the holy day of the week). They grappled, agonized, and argued as to what to do now that He has died and whether they should have done things differently! Simon Peter agonized with confusion and guilt; then three days later Jesus transcends the locked door of the upper room and assures them that He would never leave them alone. Having denied Jesus three times, Peter was asked three times by Jesus: Peter do you love me? After the third time, Jesus said: Feed my sheep! His resurrection serves as significance that His Eternal Father obviously has an Eternal Son—hence Mass on Easter Sunday.
Then they finally understood what was meant when He had said that the son of man after three days would rise again, and that “the Temple would be rebuilt in three days”. They all understood—except Thomas who was not there to witness with his own eyes what the others said they had seen. Thomas said that he wouldn’t believe until he would see for himself, and only if he could place his finger in one of the wounds of Jesus.
He would later get his chance to do just that, whereupon Jesus said: You believe because you have seen; blessed are they who have not seen and still believe! (Jesus even ate fish and left the bones.) Well, the Apostles later laughed at Thomas and gave him a nickname—Doubting Thomas.
Years later, most of them would feel honored to die deaths such as by way of the cross. Simon Peter, of course, was hung, but requested that he be hung upside-down because—even as Pope—he felt unworthy of being crucified like his Lord and Merciful Redeemer.
This natural experience within time and space is but a short while, and it’s not quite so arduous if we would just do as He says. Yeah, sometimes this world is a taste of Hell but then too, it is at times a taste of Heaven. It is an amazing opportunity! “You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone!” But having experienced the destruction we have lived through, eternal happiness will certainly be Heaven! That’s the bright side of some of the suffering we experience! (Our challenges, flaws, and imperfections are God’s gift to us; what we do with them is our gift to God!)
Well, the ordinary little peasant girl is actually quite a lady; and the little boy—although He’s so “down to Earth”—He is so not ordinary! His courage, patience, perseverance, wisdom, and understanding could be unequaled by nothing but His humility…through which His unquenchable thirst for the salvation of human beings amid time and space would be redeemed by giving His life so in love with us human beings, enough to be crucified so that our sins could be forgiven!
No one deficient in humility could love with such magnitude…which is why God the Creator of the human race would send the Redeemer to dwell among us…which is why God would never leave us alone…which is why God would create a marvel role-model mom, humble enough to say, “May it be done unto me according to Thy word.” and actually be the greatest mother of all time—a task capable only by the most virtuous human being whose advice is always the same—“Do whatever He tells you.” To say “God has patience and perseverance” is the understatement of all time. How He hasn’t “turned off the lights” and given-up on us is quite remarkable generosity!
Yep, this is the little peasant family my mom and dad introduced me to, when I—like Simon, though I’m nowhere near as tough, humble, or wise—was equally stubborn and I too was so not interested in that holy stuff! It seems that the older I get and as I mature and learn the more I appreciate my amazing parents! With all my accomplishments, I’m nowhere near their level. It gives me great happiness to call these two fine human beings mama and daddy! They taught me by example to “give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God” since they obey the law of the land and the law of the soul! They taught me so much, but the most awesome bit of knowledge that they imparted to me is that of the little peasant family!
0 comments:
Post a Comment